Sunday, February 21, 2010

Busy Weekend

Whew! What a weekend!

Saturday we attended a fundraising Chinese New Year festival at Rose's school. I volunteered at "Walk the Great Wall", where kids got to go over a balance beam and wooden platforms to earn a prize. There were many games, good Chinese food, China Sprout market, silent auction with fabulous prizes and a cake walk. Kids could write Chinese calligraphy, get their face painted, make a button, make a necklace and have their photo taken.

The silent auction featured for bidding a project that each grade made - kindergartners made a photo book, 1st graders made a name quilt and 2nd graders did a beautiful koi painting made with handprints of the students.

Sunday was Families with Children from China's Chinese New Year festival. It too was a lot of fun, with the kids getting to make a fleece hat and tiger mask, demonstrations of kung fu and ribbon dancing, performance by Circus Juventis, carnival type games, great food, face painting, many vendors selling great items, a silent auction, and a lion parade followed by fireworks.

Rose had her face painted like a doggy. She was so thrilled with it and was pretty funny when we got home - bringing us stuff she held in her teeth and dropped at our feet, and acting like a silly puppy. Here's a photo...

Sunday night I hosted book club, serving Chicken Chili, cornbread muffins, salad, and chocolate chunk caramel cheesecake. Chef Doug of course did all the cooking and baking, I just planned the menu and cleaned house. We discussed two books this meeting. The Book of Fathers by Miklos Vamos, and Walking in Circles Before Lying Down by Merrill Markoe.

Since joining book club (2.5 years ago?), I've been keeping track of the books I've read, and I've read over 70 books. Those aren't all book club books. But since joining, it has sparked my interest again in reading and I can't get enough.

Last weekend was so nice out, that I helped Rose dig a snow fort...


And here's a photo of Rose and BFF after their CNY dance performance for school earlier this month...

3 comments:

Sue said...

YOu sure had a busy weekend, my weekend was calm compared to yours. It was great seeing today, even though we didn't get much of a chance to talk. Love the dog face on Rose...

Laura L. said...

Sounds like a very festive weekend. Good to see you yesterday, though it was all too brief. :)
I like Rose's face painting. It's really cute.
Jadyn chose flowers for hers. I'll eventually get a post up. LOL

Laura said...

I love the sounds of that Chinese festival you all had. Very cool!!!

Rose looks adorable. :)

((Hugs))
Laura