Monday, March 8, 2010

How bizzarre, how bizzarre

Learned of an application on my computer that I had no idea was there. It's called Photo Booth, and you can take pictures of yourself. Of course, I had to play with it:

Thermal









Fish









Comic Book (my favorite)








Stretch
X-ray (my least favorite - scary!)
Pop Art
Light Tunnel (fun!)









If you ever use it, try out the "Mirror" effect, you can make some pretty scary faces. I'm not posting that one because it a bit too weird.

I also learned of something rather disturbing, not sure how I feel about it yet. Schools have laptops that get assigned to the kids. Some of them have Photo Booth. Kids have been using it during class time to primp (fix hair, put on makeup, etc.). Some take photos of themselves.

Also, and this should be common knowledge, the administrator can login to manage someone's computer remotely, primarily used to help fix a computer problem without having to go on site. But that means they can also see what the student sees through the camera on the laptop if the Photo Booth application is open.

Of course, they can also see if the student is actually working, what screens they have open, if they are chatting, or playing games, etc. I'm pretty much ok with that as long as the kids know up front, because it's class time and many kids need to be monitored in more ways than one. Knowing that someone can check in on them at any time may keep them from straying.

Scary though because this can be done even if the child brings the laptop home. Apparently one child was caught doing drugs in front of the camera on the laptop. And who knows what other things can be seen through the camera if someone leaves the app open and walks away.

As I'm sitting here typing, I left Photo Booth open, and if Doug wanted to, he could login remotely and look with the camera to see what I'm doing. I could be sitting here naked and he would see it (I'm not!). Of course, I'd notice my screen being manipulated (which he has done before, to freak me out!) and I would know something was about to happen.

Just be sure you know who the administrator of your computer is, and that they have the capability to remotely login and monitor what you are doing (besides other ways to see what you've been doing).

Anywhoo, it's something to think about - in my opinion, there really is nothing private when it comes to computers, and how much is enough as to invasion of privacy and big brother watching? Makes you go Hmmmm.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Love the pictures!! :P
Thanks for the info! That's great to know. I had no idea.....

((Hug))
laura

Kristy said...

I know I know isn't this fun!!! I have a new Mac and we have over 50 stupid pics of just us playing with Photo booth!!! lol

Love,Kristy