Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Santa Trauma

Getting a usable Christmas photo of the girls is becoming quite the expedition.  

This was our first attempt, at home.  More frequently than not, before I could press the button, they'd end up distracted or goofy, or just land in a big lump of pile-o-girls:











Then there was last nights attempt.   Poor Lily really does not like sitting on Santa's lap, even with big sister's safety and encouragement.  When they were done, I held her and she was shaking and sobbing and clinging for dear life to me.  Thirty bucks later, this is what we get.


Lest you have forgotten last years photo, here's a reminder.  Looks familiar, right?  At least this year Lily has hair.  Ha!


So, now I'm thinking...heck, let's just have them stand in front of the mall's decorations and be done with it.  How hard can that be?   Here is the result of that brilliant idea.  It's like herding cats!  Honestly, Doug and I aren't complete losers, we just seem to be photography challenged.  Lily does have legs, trust me.  You can see them flailing in the Santa photos above.


There's more to the story.  We had to stand in line over an hour.  For our entertainment, it was Pose your Pet with Santa night.  Note to self:  check schedule next year.  Try keeping a 2 year old off the floor in her pretty dress with white tights when there is the chance there could be some not quite nice presents from the animal world lurking there.  And get this:  Everyone in line, whether you had a pet or not, had to sign a liability waiver thingy.  This photo taking adventure is getting risky!

I decided to take Lily out of line to go get all of us something to eat and drink.  What does Lily do?  She runs, so happy to be free, and runs smack dab into a wooden chair.  With her forehead.  In front of the audiance in line for Santa photos.    Just making sure I don't get blessed with a "good mom" award.  Thankfully the bruise didn't show up until after all the crappy photos.  And security wasn't called.

The Santa and photo and chair trauma was eased by a stint in a store with this cute stuffed animal police doggy.  Happiness reigned for a good 15 minutes, until it was time to leave.  Fortunately, a quick thinking sales clerk broke out some stickers before mass hysteria started in again.

Lily says:  Dear Santa who I don't quite like just yet, I would really like one of these fun roller-skating doggies from Build-a-Bear.  It might make me change my mind about you.
Might.


So anyone who may normally get a photo from us this year, don't hold your breath.  If we do manage to score a good one,  I guess we will all be pleasantly surprised!  In the meantime, I'm gonna brush up on my PhotoShop skills.


1 comment:

Sue said...

Try one serious one and then one funny one. I used to have to tell Monika to smile and just stare at the camera and I will work with the younger ones. I one time bride Monika and it worked. I also had them take pictures of each otherafter they gave me a good picture.......good Luck