Wednesday, January 13, 2010

85 Years Ago

today, my mother was born. It's hard for me to say "Happy" Birthday, because it is anything but happy. My mom is in a residential care home (4 other women, and staffed 24 hours), suffering from Alzheimers. She has been there since October when she was no longer able to be cared for in her home.

This week hospice was hired. We don't know what the next days, weeks, or months hold. All I know is I am sad and I am hurting. I thought I had grieved already months ago when it became apparent that she no longer knew who I was. But I was wrong.

I took Rose to see her grandma today. She was sleeping and appeared to be comfortable. We sang happy birthday in both Chinese and English. She may have heard us, I don't know. Often when she is awake she keeps her eyes shut.

Rose and I talked quite a bit today about what is happening, what to expect, and why these things happen. But most importantly that death isn't always a bad thing, especially when the person has had a full and loving life, they've fought as hard as they can to keep going, and we have good memories of that person to sustain us.

I realized today that many friends don't know what's happening, so thought I should post the latest. It's just hard to find the words, afraid that putting it in writing means it's really happening. Please say a prayer for comfort and peace for my mom.

3 comments:

Sue said...

Nancy,
I am so sorry to hear that your mom's Alzheimer's has taken the next step. Unfortunately the grieving will continue during this process, but just remember all the great memories with your mom and know that even if they don't know you or express to you, your voice is familiar to them on a level and she will have that comfort as she goes on this journey. I will say prayers from you and your family.

Laura L. said...

I am so very sorry for what you are going through with your mom.
I will be praying for you.

Laura said...

I am so sorry to hear this about your Mother. How sad. :(
I will keep you all in my prayers for sure...

((Hugs))
Laura