I'm really becoming fascinated with my grandmother's poetry. Trying to read between the lines and understand her meaning. The book I am reading from was published in 1947, it's called "Design for Words" by Jessie Goddard Broman. She was born in the 1800's (not sure of the exact date, need to look it up) in a sod house in the Dakotas. She travelled alot. Was a huge Twin's baseball fan, had season seats along the dugout. Had an Airstream travel trailer. I think she was a professor of English at the U of M, but I might be wrong. Need to do some investigating I guess!
Chant for an April Day
Sing a little April,
Hanging on the bough,
Misty-green music,
Sounding now!
Summer will be swaggering,
Vigorous and tall -
A little tune is friendlier,
Faltering and small.
Whistle April courage,
Bravely sought and found;
Little lonesome fluting,
Rounding into sound.
Let it come steadily,
Fashioned out of air;
Let it be the swan-song
Of despair.





2 comments:
Hi there! I just popped over from Laura's (A Joyful Family). Love, love, love your Blog!
My great-grandmother was a published poet as well and a few years back came into a few of her poems. I don't really understand it .. it's very sad. Mostly about losing her children and such. Too much grief and it's hard to read.
Your daughter is beautiful. Congratulations on adopting again. Too bad that it is taking so long. I'll keep your family in my prayers.
Take care!
Laura
Thank you Laura, I'm glad you stopped by! With the poems, I'm trying to figure out if what she wrote about are things she actually experienced or not. Some fo them are pretty deep, but I'm almost afraid to read too much into them. I don't know if I will ever find that out or not. I was maybe only 10 when she passed away, and my dad and his sisters are no longer living either. I do have some older photos and articles to go through too, maybe that will give me more pieces to the puzzle. So much to do, so little time!
Nancy
Post a Comment