Friday, April 24, 2009

Peaches 1 - Mouse 0

Yep, she caught herself a lively mouse the other night.  There was a commotion one evening in the kitchen around 11:30 and I went to check on her to see what she had gotten into.  She was standing in the hallway and I thought she just had a wild hair.  

But when she flung my way what I thought was her toy mouse and it skittered across my bare feet, I knew it was the real deal.  She cornered it behind the shredder in the dining room, and when it made a run for it she was able to snare it again even though she doesn't have front claws.  

By this time I was standing on a dining room chair yelling for Doug to come up from downstairs.  The mouse was in her mouth and squeaking, and when she dropped it Doug put an empty ice cream bucket over it and slid the lid under it.

Hmmm...what do you do with a live mouse?  He let it go outside (yes, we know it will probably come back in).  Boy, was Peaches po'd that we took away her great find - I swear she was scowling at us.

Peaches doesn't normally sleep on our bed, but the next morning she was there.  Doug said she was there all night, and that he figures she thinks she has earned her spot on the bed.  I just don't want her bringing any mousie presents to our bed in the middle of the night, that would be really a bad scene.

3 comments:

Laura L. said...

Oh dear! I do NOT do well with mice. I would have been on top of the chair too. I might have even had to sleep on top of the kitchen table. :)
I feel a bit nervous now. So glad you shared your mousie story.
It is good though that you had Peaches there to catch the little guy.

rarejule said...

Hmmm... mouse-0 and back into the yard. I hope the neighbor dog doesn't start her hunting any earlier this season!!

yikes!

Deb said...

Nancy,
Thanks for stopping by our blog....and sorry for the slow reply...our lives have been rather hectic lately!

Have a great week!
~Deb