Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Now you see 'em

This is how full and lush my hosta plants normally look.

Now you don't.
So, I'm sitting at the dining room table and I look outside and see the cute baby bunny that has been growing up in our backyard.  Then I notice the hosta plants.  Mangled.  Broken.  Looking really sad.  My first thought was "that DARN bunny".   I just watered these plants yesterday, they were beautiful. I was amazed that they had come back so healthy after being pounded to shreds last year by a freak hailstorm.

Outside I tromp, scaring the once cute bunny away, and look a little closer...

Did the once cute bunny stuff all the leaves into the crux of the tree?  And did it also peel the bark off of the birch tree and fling it all about?  Uh, no.  A once cute daughter did it.  Needless to say, she went to bed early tonight without any storytime.

Oh my, what is summer break going to be like?  Tonight alone she did this, AND repeatedly rode her scooter without a helmet after I reminded her to wear it (got the scooter taken away), ran around in bare feet after I asked her to put shoes on (house had to be reroofed after the freak hailstorm and I don't trust that all the nails are accounted for in the lawn), and dumped water out onto some tables in the garage and then sat in it (when she knows she is banned from all sources of water due to previous incidents).  This is all after she got the cat's food bucket and made a trail of cat food that led from the dining room down the hallway towards her bedroom, because she wanted to lure the cat to her room.  That's when she got sent outside. If you are wondering why I wasn't keeping an eye on her it's because a neighbor friend was over playing with her and she is allowed to play outside without mom or dad as long as she is with a buddy and stays in the yard.

Sigh.  Something must be going  on inside her normally pretty sweet head or heart because at dinner she accidently bit her finger (hard enough for me to hear it go crunch - not a pleasant sound) and then proceeded to bawl uncontrollably, but much much longer than it warrranted, and insisted on being held and comforted by mom.  I guess sometimes you just need to not only get the tears out of your system, but all the little impish behaviors that seem to build up.  Here's to hoping we are imp free for a while.

3 comments:

Laura said...

6 year old girls are Drama Queens .. believe me. She'll get though it. I know it's hard.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
((BigHUGS))
Laura

Laura L. said...

Now are you sure the bunny couldn't have put hosta leaves in tree and flung bark about? It might be a very creative bunny you have there.

Or, maybe there's a little imp hanging out at your house. :)
Sounds like she had an active day.
I bet you were both ready for bedtime.

Hopefully it was just a 1 day phase. Hoping that today is better. :)

Unknown said...

Maybe it's this time of year or something. Mine has been kicking it up a notch, making me wonder "terrible twos already?, he's only 1 and a half!"